If you are a Windows 10 user, you might have come across the high disk usage or high CPU usage error on your computer. You must have seen your computer slow down or become jammed.
One of the major reasons for this is the Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry. Read on to find out more about this and its solution.
- 1 Fix Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry High CPU Usage Error
- 2 CONCLUSION:
Fix Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry High CPU Usage Error
Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry is a service present in Windows 10. Its main job is to collect and send usage and performance data from your computer to Microsoft.
While many suspect that Microsoft spies on people, Microsoft claims that the constant monitoring of our computer and data is to improve system security, fix bugs and enhance our system’s performance.
But, the main problem apart from collecting data is that these data occupy huge spaces on our computer. The high disk usage or high CPU usage error that we constantly face is due to this accumulation of data in our system.
In this article, let us see the ways and methods by which we can fix this issue on our computer.
1. DISABLE MICROSOFT COMPATIBILITY TELEMETRY USING CMD:
Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry high disk usage issue can be solved by disabling this service using Command prompt (CMD) in Windows 10 on your computer. The steps to carry out this method are as follows.
1. On your computer, press the Windows key and ‘R’ key to open the ‘Run’ command.
2. Once the Run command opens up, type in ‘cmd’ in the command box.
3. Press Ctrl+Shift+Enter together to open ‘cmd’ as an administrator.
4. After this, copy and paste the following command lines on your Administrator command screen.
sc delete DiagTrack sc delete dmwappushservice echo “” >
C:\\ProgramData\\Microsoft\\Diagnosis\\ETLLogs\\AutoLogger\\AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener.etl reg add
“HKLM\\SOFTWARE\\Policies\\Microsoft\\Windows\\DataCollection” /v AllowTelemetry /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
2. DELETE CompatTelRunner.exe AFTER TAKING OWNERSHIP OF IT:
CompatTelRunner.exe is a process that is running under the Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry. This is the one responsible for collecting a variety of data from users about the system and its performance and later sends it to Microsoft. Due to this reason, it uses a high percentage of CPU.
This method involves deleting this CompatTelRunner.exe. Follow the below-given steps to carry out this method.
1. Log in to your computer as an Administrator. Sign in from a user account with administrative privileges.
2. Press the Windows key and ‘R’ key together to open ‘Run’ command.
3. Input C:Windows\System32 and press ‘Enter’.
4. You will find a directory window appearing on your monitor. All your computer files for Windows 10 OS are located in this window. Here, look for the file named ‘CompatTelRunner’.
5. Right-click on that option and tap on ‘Properties’.
6. Click on the Security tab from the top after the ‘Properties’ dialog box opens. Click on ‘Advanced settings’ at the bottom inside the Security section.
7. Locate the ‘Owner’ section in a new window that appears now.
8. Now, click on the ‘Edit’ option present at the bottom of the ‘Owner’ section.
9. Select Administrators and click on Apply in the Exit window. Save your changes.
10. Close all the windows. Thus, you have acquired ownership of the file.
11. Now, you can finally delete the service ‘CompatTelRunner.exe’ from your computer. Make sure you empty the Recycle bin too.
Thus, you have disabled the service and your issue regarding high disk usage will be solved.
3. DISABLE CompatTelRunner.exe FROM TASK SCHEDULER:
This method simply aims to disable the ‘CompatTelRunner.exe’ file instead of deleting it so that the issue is resolved easily. Follow the steps given below to disable the file and resolve the issue.
1. Press the Windows key and ‘R’ key together to open the ‘Run’ command.
2. Input taskschd.msc in the run command and press ‘Enter’.
3. The Task scheduler window will open up. Click on the ‘Task scheduler library’ to expand.
4. Click on the folder named ‘Microsoft’. Inside this, another folder named ‘Windows folder’ will be present. Click on that too to expand.
5. Search for the ‘Application experience’ option and click on it. A new window will open up consisting of some tasks.
6. Search for the task named ‘Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser’. Right-click on that and disable it.
7. Thus, the Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry is turned off. Close all the windows and restart the computer to effect the changes made.
4. FIX USING GROUP POLICY EDITOR:
1. On your computer, press the Windows key and ‘R’ key simultaneously to launch the ‘Run’ command.
2. Input gpedit.msc on the rum command and press ‘Enter’.
3. Follow the sequence of steps Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Data Collection and Preview Builds.
4. Click twice on the option called ‘Arrow Telemetry’.
5. Select the option ‘Disabled’ and tap ON ‘OK’.
6. Press together Ctrl+Shift+Esc to ensure whether the Compatibility Telemetry takes up normal disk space and usage.
5. FIX USING REGISTRY EDITOR:
1. Press simultaneously, the Windows key and ‘R’ key to open up the run command.
2. Input regedit.msc in the rum command and click ‘OK’.
3. When prompted by User Account Control, tap ‘OK’.
4. Follow the sequence of steps HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Policies > Microsoft > Windows > DataCollection.
5. Click twice the ‘Arrow telemetry’ option.
6. Keep the Value data as ‘Zero’ and tap ‘OK’.
7. Press together Ctrl+Shift+Esc on your keyboard to verify whether Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry occupies normal disk space.
6. UPDATE DEVICE DRIVER:
It is probably time to visit the last method, which is to update your drivers. When all other methods fail, keep your hopes on this one last method. There are 2 ways to update drivers – Automatic and Manual.
Automatic: Drivers can be updated automatically and easily using software called ‘Driver Easy’. This software will automatically scan your device, recognize the fault and search for the suitable version of drivers for your windows, thus making the job easier for you.
Manual: It denotes checking up on the manufacturer’s website manually for the latest and compatible version of myself and then downloading it into your system and installing it. This though is a tedious process, but you need not rely on any software and can do the job yourself.
Though this service is not meant to spy on our data, it can occupy a huge amount of data and high CPU usage. So, it is best to disable the service or make it act like a normal disk so as to make the system work efficiently.
Follow any one of the above methods to disable this service and comment on which one works best for you!