Want to change your IMEI number? Let me not go into the motive behind this as you may have your reasons like making your phone untraceable or enjoy other benefits. But do note that, to change IMEI number is not an easy task and it is even considered to be illegal and a criminal offense in some countries, so do it at your own risk.
If you are one who wants to change your IMEI number, then you have come to the right place. This article will guide you through various steps to change your IMEI number.
How to Change IMEI Number Easily?
IMEI is an acronym for ‘International Mobile Equipment Identity’. It is a 15 digit unique serial or identification number of your phone that can be seen on your battery if your battery is removable or in the phone’s packaging box. This is the number that can help you trace back your phone if it had been stolen or lost.
Below mentioned are 2 methods by which you can change your phone’s IMEI number.
1. Change your IMEI Number without Rooting your Android Smartphone
This method works on devices that are not rooted nor does this work on rooting the device. The steps for carrying out this method are as follows.
1. Open the dial pad application of your smartphone and enter in it, either of the following numbers.
*#7465625# or *#*#3646633#*#*
2. Check for CDS information and click on it.
3. Now, check for Radio information
4. Now, depending on your phone, which is a single sim or dual-sim phone, different options will be displayed on your display like IMEI_1 or IMEI_2. Then select any one number that you want to change.
5. The options will be displayed as follows
AT+EGMR=1,7, “IMEI_1” (sim 1) and AT+EGMR=1,10, “IMEI_2” (sim 2).
6. Now, replace the IMEI number that you want to change with your desired number.
7. To complete the process, click ‘Send’ to change the IMEI number on your phone.
The above method may not work on all android devices. So, luckily we have another easier method without root that is especially for Android. The steps to carry out this method are as follows.
1. Open your Android device’s Settings module.
2. You will find an option named ‘Backup and Reset’. Click on that option.
3. Inside that section, click on ‘Factory data reset’.
4. After the factory reset is over, you will receive a notification. Tap on ‘Create new (random) Android ID’.
6. That’s it! Your IMEI number is changed.
2. How to Change IMEI Number on a Rooted Device
This is another method of changing your IMEI number. For this method to work, you should have already rooted your device. For those who have root access in your phone, this is the only way out to change IMEI number and those who have not rooted your device, you must root your device to carry out this method.
After carrying out the pre-requisites like rooting your phone, follow the steps given below to proceed with the task of changing your IMEI number.
1. Download XPOSED IMEI CHANGER
2. Before starting the process, make sure to note down the existing IMEI number on your phone and then proceed to the next step.
3. Go to the modules and click the mark on the IMEI Changer app.
4. The next step is to reboot your device into the system. Soft rebooting can also be done using the XPOSED INSTALLER APP.
5. After rebooting of your device gets completed, go to the IMEI CHANGER APP. The original IMEI number will be displayed there.
6. Type in the new number that you want to replace the original IMEI number and click on ‘Apply’. Your IMEI number is successfully changed.
7. Suppose the IMEI number is not changed, try rebooting your device one more time to effect the changes made accordingly.
8. In order to verify that the IMEI number change has actually been changed, you can type *#06# on your dial pad to check the current IMEI number on your device.
3. How to Change IMEI on MediaTek (MTK) Processor Devices
To change IMEI numbers on MTK devices, that is, MediaTek powered devices like Nokia 5.1 Plus or Realme 1, without root, follow the steps given below, This method is pretty easy and comfortable.
1. Download the ‘Mobile Uncle app’ from Google on your Android device.
2. Click on the option ‘Allow installation from unknown sources’ in your Settings to proceed with the installation in case, the pop up appears to not install from unknown sources. If not, directly proceed to step 3.
3. Launch the Mobile uncle app on your device.
4. Go to the Engineer mode (MTK) option on the app.
5. Click on the option ‘CDS Information’ under that section.
6. In the CDS information section, click on the ‘Radio information’ option.
7. Two options will be displayed on your screen – Phone 1 and Phone 2. Click on Phone 2 to proceed.
8. Inside that, you will find an option called ‘AT+’. Now, your last step is to replace that ‘AT+‘ to ‘AT+(space)the new IMEI number’.
9. Click on ‘Send at command’ to save the changes made.
10. Reboot your device to effect the changes.
The above-mentioned methods work for all types of Android devices. By, following any one of those methods, you can easily change your device’s IMEI number. But you should have a valid reason to do so as it is considered illegal in many countries and once lost, it will be impossible to trace back your phone.
Still, the advantages are you can enjoy a wide variety of features on your device. So, do make sure to have a valid reason and then proceed with the methods to change your IMEI number.
Hope this article helps!