Antimalware service executable is the background process of Windows Defender. And it is part of the Windows operating system. Antimalware Service Executable is also known as “MsMpEng.exe”.
Antimalware Service Executable protects your computers from potential threats and gives you real-time protection against malware. Unfortunately, this is known more for high CPU usages that cause your computer to slow down. This problem usually arises when you use Windows Defender as your antivirus for your computer. The most common reasons behind high CPU usages are:-
- The biggest reason for high CPU consumption that the program keeps scanning files and applications installed on your computer in real-time to provide real-time protection.
- Windows Defender comes with the full scan feature that also affects system performance. When you activate it, all the files on your computer are scanning, during scanning process defender uses mostly all available resources that cause computer performance.
- 1 How To Fix Antimalware Service Executable From Hogging Resources:-
- 1.1 Solution 1:- Disable Windows Defender From Registry:-
- 1.2 Solution 2:- Change Windows Defender Schedule:-
- 1.3 Solution 3:- Add Antimalware Service Executable To Windows Defender Exclusion List:-
- 1.4 Solution 4:- Delete Windows Defender Directory:-
- 1.5 Solution 5:- Turn Off Windows Defender Services:-
- 2 Conclusion:-
How To Fix Antimalware Service Executable From Hogging Resources:-
As I have said earlier that it is the part of the Windows Defender and defender is the inbuilt feature of Microsoft windows. But, that’s doesn’t mean that nothing can be done with it. You can disable antimalware service executable by following below-given solutions:-
Solution 1:- Disable Windows Defender From Registry:-
As you all know that Defender is the inbuilt antivirus system for Windows, if you want to disable it then you have to make sure that you have installed another antivirus program on your computer. The main reason for installing another antivirus program is to keep your computer secure from malware and threats. Disable Defender by following below mentioned instructions:-
- Press Windows key+R, type gpedit.msc
- Navigate to : computer conformation > administrative templates> Windows components > Windows defender.
- Double click on turn off windows defender antivirus.
- Select enable option to disable defender. And click on Apply followed by ok.
Solution 2:- Change Windows Defender Schedule:-
It is an effective way for antimalware service executable end task. The reason for high CPU usages is a full scan that runs in the background and consumes a lot of CPU memory without user acknowledgment. You can schedule a full scan for a time when you are not using your computer. To do this just follow the instructions:-
- Press Windows key+R.
- Type taskschd.msc search box and hit enter.
- Navigate to Task Scheduled library>Micorosoft>windows>Windows Defender then double click on Windows Defender Scheduled Scan.
- uncheck the option Run with highest privileges.
- Go to the Conditions section and uncheck all the items
- Click Ok.
Solution 3:- Add Antimalware Service Executable To Windows Defender Exclusion List:-
This solution is highly recommended by me because it is the safest and easiest way to get rid of the antimalware service executable high memory usages. In this solution, we are going to add antimalware service executable to the windows defender exclusion list so it stops running in the background automatically. To do this follow the steps given below:-
- Go to Settings, or press Windows key+I open the setting window.
- Navigate to Update & Security>windows defender>exclusion>add an exclusion.
- click on Exclude a .exe, .com or .scr process option.
- Type MsMpEng.exe. in the text box.
- Click Ok.
Solution 4:- Delete Windows Defender Directory:-
Many users say that they have solved the antimalware service executable just by deleting the windows defender directory. Sometimes deleting it can cause some issues before you delete the directory just make sure you have created a backup for your files, so you can easily restore your pc if anything does not go according to the expectations. If you are sure about deleting windows defender directory follow the given steps:-
- Go to Local Disk C>program Files and locate for windows defender.
- now you can delete the windows defender directory.
Solution 5:- Turn Off Windows Defender Services:-
To get rid of antimalware service executable you have to turn off windows defender services by following below-given steps:-
- Press Windows key+R and type services.msc and click ok.
- A window will appear containing all your services.
- Look for Windows Defender Antivirus Service from the list and open its properties.
- Now set the startup type from automatic and click on the stop button.
Now you all know that what is antimalware service executable and how to fix high CPU usage issues. There is also a myth that antivirus service executable is the virus, I just want to clear that we haven’t seen any reports of viruses that imitate as antimalware service executable. And as we all know that defender is itself an antivirus.
If your pc is still running slow even after trying the above solutions, then we highly recommend you update your windows driver. There are two ways through which you can update your windows drivers.
- Automatic Driver Update
- Manual Driver Update
You can choose any method to any method to update to your windows drivers, it completely depends upon your computer skills.
In case if you face any problem while executing the above-stated troubleshooting ways, then you can get back to us, using our comment section. Cheers!